Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Haircut Saga

I've had severe hair trauma since moving to my current location. Trauma, because I don't have a hair person here. I don't have someone I trust to do my hair. I think a good hair person is an essential in life. I had a good hair person for a very long time. Heidi, one of my best friends, did my hair for the longest time. And she always knew exactly what I wanted even when I didn't know what I wanted. I could just mumble a few phrases like, "I need more. . .and I want something different, like. . .and I want. . ." No, I don't think I ever provided more information than that. She just seemed to know what would work with my hair and it always did. Even better, she would come to my house to do my hair. Isn't that great? I think all stylists should make house calls.

Anyway, so I grew my hair out for three years and finally decided to do something with it. However, since I moved far, far away from my favorite hair person, I didn't have a hair person. But I rationalized that any hair person should do because after all, they all go to school and have to pass those tests and get licensed. Any hair person should do, right? Well, I was so wrong! I went to a little place up the street. No fancy salons for me! I can't stomach paying $60 for a haircut and $100 for highlights. Anyway, I went in, told the girl that I wanted a few inches off and some layers. My hair, when I went in, was midway down my back. When she was done with me, it was to my shoulders. Did we some how miss the part about A COUPLE OF INCHES!?! I even pointed and showed her how much to cut off and how much not to cut off. I guess when you pay $10 for a haircut, you get a $10 haircut.

I went home and tried to make it work, but it was awful. The layers were all choppy and uneven and I hated it. So two weeks later I went to another place up the street. I explained to the new stylist, in great detail, the trauma I experienced during my last haircut (hoping to instill in her the dire need for her to get it right!) I decided to chop off those ghastly layers and go for a cute bob. (I use to keep my hair short all the time and really loved it) Luckily, she understood what I was trying to communicate and my hair turned out cute.

I decided later that I really like myself with long hair more than short hair, so I am currently growing it out. (That last haircut was 10 months ago). But I really needed a change. My hair has been so flat and lifeless. So, off to another little place up the street. (Yes, there are at least three, wait, no there are four hair salons up the street from me.) This time (as in Friday night) I went with pictures and very specific instructions. I wanted highlights and body. I wanted to keep my length, but give a little more umph to my hair. And I think I found a new hair person. She was very patient with me as I explained what I needed and wanted. And I like my new haircut. It's different than anything I've ever had. I have highlights and layers and umph! And if I had anymore energy to spare, I would post a picture. But I'll just have to do that later. While it doesn't beat having my hair person come to me and not charge me an outrageous sum of money, I think that I have found my hair person and hopefully my hair trauma will be minimal now!

No comments: