Tuesday, January 30, 2007

KNOCK! KNOCK!

Today the doorbell rang, followed by a knock, and then a loud "clank, clank" from the door knocker. Okay, that's one thing that will get me irritated fast, especially during naptime! Fine, ring the doorbell, but then to knock and then use the door knocker, well that is just rude. Not the best impression to make when you are trying to sell something. So I opened the door up wide enough for me to stick my head out. There was a kid there, I'm guessing college, I don't really know. He starts talking and it went something like this, "Hey, we're just in the area trying to get points for our ROTC group to go to Washington, D.C. and if you could just help me out with some points that wold be great!" He then hands me some papers and stands there. Uhhhh. . .what? So I say to him, "So what exactly. . ." At which point, he interrupts me to say, "Well basically it's, well to answer your question, well if I knew your question I could probably answer it better." Uh, ya'think? Obviously this kids mind reading ability is a bit lacking.

Apparently, if I bought a magazine subscription from him he would get a certain amount of points depending on the subscription I decided on. Of course, he didn't explain any of this to me. I was only able to figure it out because I've had other people stop at my door for the same thing. I'm not really one for magazine subscriptions. I'm already subscribed to the few I like. I told him that I would not be able to help him at this time. He then says that everyone else is buying at least two. Well, then, if everyone else is doing it! I then said that it wasn't in the budget for the month (I love blaming things on the budget!) Then he tells me that if I write a check it won't go through for at least two weeks. Sorry, no thanks! Then he says that he'll just have to stand out on my door step pounding on my door until I change my mind (thanks, you already did that and no, it wasn't that great). At this point in the conversation I say no thanks, and shut the door.

Moral of the story:

To those pounding on the doors of homes with small young children sleeping: if you are selling something, be nice and polite, explain who you are and what you are doing, and explain clearly and exactly what you are selling and why it's so great. And don't pound on the door!

To those whose doors are being pounded on: don't open the door!

No comments: